The Fountain has become Princeville’s most prominent and photographed landmark. When arriving at Princeville on Kuhio Highway the fountain provides a grand reception to Princeville. Princeville, a 9,000-acre unincorporated master-planned community, is the most northernmost settlement in the state of Hawaii. Read this article for a history of this beautiful town or read this article for 5 reasons to love the North Shore.
Originally inspired by the “Fountain of Love” at Cliveden House, in England. Cliveden House is one of England’s grand country houses and dates back to the mid-19th century. American sculptor Thomas Waldo Story designed the fountain – originally known as the “Shell Fountain” — in 1897 and carved it in Rome before shipping it to the U.K. The fountain later took the name of “Fountain of Love.”
The Princeville Fountain began in 1988 when twelve artisans in Italy began work on a 900-ton piece of marble. The one-year project resulted in the final 200-ton fountain, which traveled to Kauai in eleven containers. It took four of the original artisans four months to install the fountain in its location amongst lush vegetation and natural beauty.
Princeville fountain has its own dedicated website at www.princevillefountain.com